Wednesday 10 December 2014

Thai Peanut Sauce

When Ruby was first home, I could barely make a bowl of cereal. Now that I am (generally) more organized with her, I love cooking again. For dinners, I often make a lot of Asian inspired meals. I used to buy a particular brand of jarred peanut sauce and I do love how it tastes, but I've started making my own sauces and seasonings at home to have more control over the ingredients (ie. not so much hidden sugar). Here's my recipe for a Thai-style peanut sauce. I use it in stir-fries but it could be a dipping sauce, too.





Ingredients:
1 to 2 cloves garlic, put through a press or grated
1 tsp grated ginger
approximately half cup pb (I used the crunchy coconut kind)
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
a few drops sesame oil
sirracha to taste
1/3 cup water  *note: if you're making this as a dip, I would use a little less water

Simply mix all the ingredients until smooth. If you're making a stir-fry, just add it to the meat/veggies. If you're going to use it as a dip, I would make it a little ahead of time so the flavours have time to marry.

Here's a tip: buy a piece of ginger and then keep it in your freezer. Then you can easily peel and grate what you need anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover