Tuesday 30 September 2014

My Dental Hygienist Blew My Mind


I was at the dentist for my regular cleaning recently, and I decided to ask my hygienist about the article that was floating around the internet saying that chemicals in Colgate were carcinogenic (insert me freaking out here). She said that yes, she had seen the article and that most toothpastes are the same; they all contain chemicals (I guess I should have known that). Then she told me something that blew me away. She said that you don't really need to use toothpaste, period.

I'm sorry, whaaaaa? I've been living a lie my entire life, religiously brushing my teeth with toothpaste twice a day. Turns out, unless you have a condition like sensitive teeth where toothpaste might help, all you need is to brush with water and floss each day. Yep that's it. Apparently, toothpaste simply enhances the teeth-brushing experience. If you want to freshen your breath, you can just use a rinse.

Am I the last person to know about this? I actually tried it for a few days and it really was fine. My mouth still felt so fresh and so clean clean. Don't judge, my mouth is chemical free :)

1 comment:

  1. You’re not the last person to know about that fact, Emma. Hahaha! Every manmade product contains chemicals, and we really can’t deny that. Although I agree with what your hygienist recommended for you, I really can’t imagine brushing my teeth without toothpaste, but if you really want your pearly whites to be healthy, it's worth a try. Thanks for sharing that, Emma! All the best to you!

    Patty Baker @ Colorado Dental Savings Plan

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover