Friday 21 February 2014

FOMO - Workplace Edition


This week I discovered something. I have started to suffer from preemptive FOMO at work. For those who aren't in the know, FOMO stands for Fear Of Missing Out, a fairly recent phenomenon that has mainly reared its ugly head due to the widespread use of social media.

The theory is that pre-social media days, we didn't have a line of sight to what others were doing at all times, and so we were generally happier about our own events and plans. Now that everyone can post exactly where they are, what they're doing, and who they're doing it with, it leaves us with a feeling that we are missing out on something when we are not partaking in that activity.

So back to my workplace version. Upon learning that I was pregnant, I was all about the mat leave. Then, this week, a strange feeling crept over me. A feeling that I was going to miss some pretty great stuff while away for a year. I'm one of those project-loving-work-nerds and the idea that I will start on a project (which is what I'm doing now) but not get to finish it is really bumming me out.

Don't mistake this for any type of regret, I am so excited for this baby girl that I can hardly talk about anything else, but a little part of me is disappointed that I'm going go miss out on some pretty interesting (if you like HR) work stuff.

So, all you moms and dads who took time off work when your little one was born, how did you feel? Did any suffer from a little bit of FOMO? Did it all disappear when your baby arrived? I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover