Friday 28 December 2012

Let's Resolve

Do you make a New Year's Resolution?


I tend to come up with one or two every year. Inevitably failing at some point. Perhaps this is because our (read: my) resolutions are unrealistic.

At work, part of my job is to train people on how to set realistic and achievable goals; I figured that I should probably share my talents with you folks. No - I won't take you through a full on goal setting session, but I'll share some tips on how to be more successful in 2013.

1. Make it specific. 
Don't just say 'go to the gym more' or 'eat healthy food' - how much is more? if it was me, more would be even once, since I never go. Or what is healthy food (fruit, veg? and when do you intend to eat it).

2. Make it achievable.
While being specific, decide if that's a realistic expectation. Going from never setting foot in the gym to going 5 days a week is a pretty drastic change that I am you're unlikely to be able to maintain.

In case your goal is more of a one-time thing (I know a guy who makes a really interesting resolution each year, and just goes out and does it) make sure it's something you can actually get to that year. If it costs money - make sure you have some.

Do you think I will follow my own advice? hmmm tough call. I haven't finalized my resolutions yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to write a post about it. Why? Because that's my final tip:

3. Put in it writing/make it known.
The more people you tell about it, the better, because you'll feel more pressure to stick to it.

xx E.

Ps. That's a picture of Rocky, giving you the eyes, holding you accountable for the resolutions you make

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover