Tuesday 19 February 2013

House Sitting

So my parents are headed on holiday for a couple of weeks. What does that mean, you ask? Well, it means that we are house sitting (more like dog sitting, whilst living in their house). So what does that mean? ...HOUSE PARTY!

Just kidding - my parents read this blog, I thought it would be a funny joke.

But actually, back in the day, I will admit, my parents house was party central (when they weren't home, obviously).

They started out small, just 6 or 7 friends. But then, when those parties went unnoticed, I got a little braver. One year, I even asked to have a New Year's party. Let this be a lesson to all future parents out there. It is never a good idea to let your kid have a New Year's party. Ever. Even if they promise it's just going to be a small group. The entire school will undoubtedly show up and trash your house. Trust me - it happened.




Wanna know the worst part? The next day, I got dragged out of bed at what felt like a very unreasonable hour (it was probably like 9:30) to clean the house. I cried while cleaning. It seemed to take all day. Even my brother was mad about the state of the house. I took a long break from parties after that.


Years later, one summer my best friend (who just happened to live next door) and I cooked up a little plan. Our parents were headed up north together, but, sigh, we couldn't go because we 'had to work'. Meanwhile, we planned a party that would span both backyards (and both houses). Our neighbours wanted us arrested wished we would move. I will admit, the parties were a little loud and a little rowdy...
The worst part? When our parents returned home, to spotless houses nonetheless, the neighbours came over to tattle on us. Busted.

trouble maker: the shirt says it all

After that, I stopped having parties. Months later my mom called me at university to tell me she found her garden statue with the head knocked off hidden in the basement. Sorry about that one, mom, and I swear, it was my brother's idea to hide it.

ps. I have other tales of what happened with the parents on vacation...I'll save those for another day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover