Monday 15 April 2013

Teacup Cakes

This past weekend we hosted a family dinner/Masters viewing party (eye roll). Since The Masters is a classy event, I decided it required a classy dessert.



I was given these adorable cupcake molds for my birthday and what goes better with a gentleman's game than a cake in a teacup?

Confession: I used a boxed cake mix. Apologies to all my baker friends, but for vanilla cake I think the kind from the box is quite yummy.



To take it to the next level I made my own icing. It's the perfect cheat, boxed cake mix and homemade icing. Here's my recipe for chocolate icing.

1/3 cup room temperature butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups icing sugar
approx. 3 tbsp milk

Whip the butter until it's really soft and fluffy.


Add in the cocoa and continue mixing. Add in the vanilla.



Next add one cup of icing sugar and one tablespoon of milk. Mix until it's incorporated.



Add the next cup of sugar and spoon of milk, mix. Add the final cup of icing sugar and spoon of milk.

If the icing is not the consistency you want, add drops of milk and continue mixing until it reaches your desired consistency.



This recipe makes enough for one batch of cupcakes (20 or so), unless you pile the icing really high.

The finished tea cups! Aren't they sweet?

2 comments:

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover